Tarkighir Speaks On Why they Are Supporting Hon Gbajabiamila

hon-dicksonHon. Dickson Tyolumun Tarkighir is a newly elected Member of the Federal House of Representatives representing Guma/Makurdi Federal Constituency. He is of the All Progressive Party APC and one of the new members of the House supporting the aspiration of Femi Gbajabiamila as the next Speaker of the House of Representatives. He spoke with some journalist in Abuja recently on the current battle for leadership positions in the National Assembly as well as his mission in the lower chamber. Olaoluwakitan Babatunde was there

Tell us about your background?
I am Dickson Tyolumun Tarkighi, the second of 7 siblings born to a peasant farmer from Guma Local Government area of Benue State. I am a graduate of Business Administration from Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma and I obtained my MBA from Ahmadu Bello University Zaria. I have been in the private sector all my life as a Marketing Consultant. I ventured into politics to serve my people and was appointed as Senior Special Assistant to the Benue state Governor on Industries and contested for the House of Representatives seat and was elected to represent my people in the lower chamber.

The APC are yet to zone the leadership positions in the National Assembly why is it so?
Well I cannot say, but I believe they are trying to be careful and meticulous, be that as it may, my advice is that they should do this quickly, luckily for us, the contenders for the Speakership and Senate Presidency are both Minority leaders in the two legislative houses, so what we were supposed to do was to just allow them to occupy the leadership positions and zone the rest offices, it’s as simple as that; that is my take. All these delays are giving grounds to the opposition PDP to latch on. Mind you, they control one of the richest states in this country and they can mobilise to cause commotion in both houses. So, our leaders should please do this thing in the interest of peace and unity of our party.

Why are you supporting the Minority leader for the Speakership position? You are a new member in the house; do you really know him?
Who does not know Femi Gbajabiamila? Even a secondary school student who is current knows the exploits of this vibrant member as leader of opposition in the seventh House, so for me I admire him. As a politician, I have watched him closely on his performance in the floor of the house. So, with my election coupled with the victory of the APC gaining majority in the House, I strongly believe he deserves to be catapulted to the seat of speaker. But to answer your question, well, I am supporting him because he is qualified, competent and can hold his own as a leader of the house. I am supporting him again because ordinarily there is no need for any contest. In advanced democracies Femi would automatically become the Speaker and Senator Akume who is the Minority leader would also become the Senate President. We are just beating about the bush and it is unfortunate.

Recently some members of the North Central caucus rejected the much publicised endorsement of Gbajabiamila. You are the Vice Chairman Contact committee, North Central Zone of the Femi Gbajabiamila Campaign for Speaker Organisation. What is your take on that?
I think we have resolved that. It was a communication gap; It is important to state here that it is highly imperative for the North Central legislators to support Femi in this bid. We must support him; we have no option, because we also have two leading Senators from the North Central zone, Akume and Saraki vying for the Senate Presidency. We have resolved that issue and we shall soon issue a press statement showing the world that we members from the North Central are united for Femi Gbajabiamila.

Do you think the APC leadership would zone the Speakership to the South West considering the outcry that the zone has already produced the Vice-President?
We pray the leadership zones the Speakership to the South West, and the Senate Presidency to the North Central, but I put it to you that, as it is today, majority of our members, both new and old would vote for the Minority leader any day. All these talks that he is being bankrolled and supported by Asiwaju TInubu are all balderdash, Tinubu is our leader, there is no doubt about it, but to say he is fielding Femi for the number four seat, that is not fair, Femi is a man of his own. He has been cut out for this position, he has displayed rare leadership qualities as Minority leader holding the minorities as one united family in the 7thHouse. So, as a Speaker, he would surely consolidate on that. So, with his pedigree, he is eminently qualified to vie for the seat of Speaker without the support of anybody. His credentials can speak for him, therefore let me reiterate that with zoning,we will get it. With election, over 200 members will go for Femi I guarantee you that.

Do you think Gbajabiamila is the kind of leader the House needs at this time?
Yes of course. Day in day out, our members are expressing their support to this great parliamentarian. It goes to show the level of acceptance by congressmen. If you don’t know, Nigeria and Nigerians needs the best and the brightest federal legislator as a Speaker of the 8th House. Femi fits in, he is credible, articulate, responsive, and a dynamic statesman who as Speaker would maintain the much expected and desired legislative/ executive relationship to move the country forward. So, I believe, he is the kind of leader the House that will be constituted in June needs to effect the Change Nigeria so much desires now.

What is your mission in the House as a new member?
I am here as a servant of the good people of Guma and Makurdi Federal Constituency. I am also here to represent them and that I will do to the best of my ability, to articulate and present laws that would benefit them as well as ensure federal government presence in not only my constituency but also the whole of Benue state. Let me use this medium to thank my people for ensuring I represent them here against all odds. I solicit for their patience and prayers to enable me do what I am here to do. And by the grace of God I will not disappoint them.

Do you intend to focus on any particular area while in the house?
My area has witnessed several crises like the unfortunate Fulani herdsmen and farmers’ clashes which resulted to loss of lives and properties, and you rightly know without peace there can never be development no matter what. I will try as much as possible to ensure that the bill that looks into the issue of grazing reserves becomes law in this 8th house. I am still studying the bill, but don’t know how far the current House had done about this issue. If they have, we will revive it, if they haven’t we shall present it again. We need to stop all these killings in Benue State once and for all.

We are counting days to the swearing in of General Muhammadu Buhari as President of the nation. Looking at the expectations of Nigerians, do you think he will deliver?
He is the man of the moment, who God has through the people of Nigeria given a mandate. It is the peoples mandate ordained by God. So, definitely you will expect Nigerians to be desperate, but most importantly, He has all what it takes to move this country forward. You all know Nigeria has suffered, a lot of corruption, impunities, absence of rule of law, indiscipline etc. All we need to do is to give him 100 percent support. We need to be patient, we need prayers, we need to move forward, corruption has eaten deep into our fabric, it’s not going to be easy, but with God all things are possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment